Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Is It Really Fall?

    I haven't noticed. In Connecticut, it's pretty obvious when fall starts because there's trees everywhere you look. I guess I took that for granted. Temple's campus is awesome, but in the fall it doesn't look much different. The trees here are all strategically placed to look pretty, and some of them don't even change in the fall. On a side note, it was 60 degrees a couple days ago which I completely appreciate when I have to walk at least ten minutes to get anywhere worth going to around here. 
     I've come up with a few things that I have to do when I'm back in Connecticut over Thanksgiving break, which include cuddling with my dog, buying Edy's pumpkin ice cream, getting my hair highlighted again (for the first time since June... oof), and now I'm adding visiting Giuffrida to this list. Giuffrida is this really awesome park about 20 minutes away from where I live. I've never seen it in the fall before, only during the summer when it was hellishly hot outside. I wish I had better pictures, this picture on the right was the best that Google images could come up with. Although I totally suck at hiking, going to Giuffrida seems like such a fallish, New England-y thing to do to make me feel a little bit less deprived. 
     Don't get me wrong, Philadelphia isn't all concrete, and I'm in love with the city atmosphere where Temple's campus is located. Or should I say ghetto atmosphere. Philadelphia is huge and includes a network of suburbs, center city, tons of neighborhoods within center city, and Fairmount Park with an approximately 19 mile long bike trail running through it, located right outside the city. I wish I had more time to go check it out right now, I bet it looks awesome in the fall. This picture doesn't do it any justice, only a tiny portion of it is showing. The park stretches all around the Schuylkill river. However, if I could choose between going to Fairmount Park and Giuffrida, I'd pick Giuffrida. Fairmount Park is a little bit more manicured and tends to be a lot more crowded than Giuffrida is. Sometimes when I went to Giuffrida, I'd only see one other group of people. Sometimes I wouldn't see any other people. I associate it with home and nothing beats New England fall foliage in my opinion.

(These pictures are not my own. Each one links to the source I took them from.)

No comments:

Post a Comment