Monday, December 20, 2010

An Additional Reason Why Tumblr Sucks

 
     Because it hosts this "thinspiration" nonsense. Sadly, "The Skinny City" isn't the only blog that hosts this kind of thing. It seems to be more popular on tumblr, further contributing to why tumblr sucks in my book.
     For those of you who haven't heard of "thinspiration," according to Wikipedia it is "photographs or other material intended to provide inspiration for anorexia nervosa as a lifestyle choice." So, in other words, thinspiration blogs on tumblr are where lame insecure girls who typically aren't unhealthily overweight post pictures of girls who starve themselves on a daily basis and make it their goal to look just like walking skeletons. It seems to me like the only people who are "inspired" by these blogs and that think being unrealistically skinny is worth sacrificing their health are immature girls.
      According to this informational website, "the more serious consequences of malnutrition and weight loss include weakened bones, and loss of brain tissue and muscle, including the heart muscle...decreased energy, low blood pressure, feeling dizzy and faint, feeling cold much of the time, constipation, fatigue, lack of interest in things including sex, and depression." But, you know, weighing 90 pounds is totally worth all those negative side effects and possibly dying of malnutrition.
 
      Unless they have some kind of mental disorder, I can't picture anybody my age or older actually believing that starving yourself will make boys will notice you and having people remember you - not for your intelligence, accomplishments, ability to make people laugh, etc., but for your weight - are good enough reasons to starve yourself. Last I checked, most guys like it when girls don't resemble poles. I would be really sad if I woke up one day with a flat butt.
     Basically, I think it's mind-blowing that there are girls out there that would lose sleep over not being able to fit into a pair of jeans or not having "collar bones that could poke an eye out." I'm not fat and I can't wear Hollister jeans because my hips are too big. My hip bones don't inflict harm on others when I give hugs. Maybe there are people out there that would consider me "fat" because I don't look like a skeleton. Who cares! I'm not going to sit here and preach "looks don't matter," but looks sure aren't everything. It's okay to want to lose weight if you're on the heavier side, but it's not okay to sacrifice your health to do so. Something like that seems like it would be common sense, but unfortunately to some, it's not.

3 comments:

  1. This feels like a very big generalization of the website. But then again, I feel like I follow a lot of non-shitty blogs that actually post interesting things whether it's about their life, news, technology, or politics. I guess there is probably a majority of accounts that only reblog pictures of skinny chicks and funny memes but they're totally doing it wrong. I like tumblr because my feed is so diverse and it's fairly simple to comment on and encourage everyone in their life journeys and whatnot. Too cliche? Probably. I feel like most of facebook and twitter is used by unoriginal, thinspired depressed teenagers who want to find "love" and some sort of bullshit meaning for the entire world. And they're all doing it wrong. WRONG. (Though who am I to say they're doing it wrong? They're just not doing it for any reason except to do it...which sucks for everyone.)

    -Megan Carter (meganomalous.tumblr.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you haha, I think the title of this post is a little misleading. I've said in another post that I don't hate Tumblr, I just hate how some people choose to use it. I wouldn't go as far as to say that every blog on Tumblr is owned by lame attention-seeking 14 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, I will totally shroud you in linen, suck out your guts through your nose, make them into sausages for your slaves, and then bury you and them alive.

    OR - we could just go to Waffle House. They make pretty good omelettes there.

    ReplyDelete